At Windmill we operate an open admission policy. This means that, providing the needs of the individual child can be met at Windmill Primary School, we will accept any child into the Foundation Stage without reference to ability or aptitude at the beginning of the academic year in which they reach the age of 5. Pupils with a Special Educational Need or an EHC Plan will be allocated a place where the school is named as being the appropriate provision.
All applications for admission must be made through Northamptonshire County Council (http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk)
Where applications for admission exceed the number of places available i.e. 60, the following criteria will be applied, in the order set out below, to decide which children to admit:
- Children in Public Care or previously in public care but immediately after being in public care became subject to an adoption, residence/child arrangements or special guardianship order.
- Pupils with exceptional social needs, supported by written evidence from an appropriate professional person.
- Where the child has a brother or sister attending the school at the time of admission.
- Where there are medical grounds (supported by a doctor’s certificate) for admitting the child.
- The proximity of the child’s home to school, with those living nearer being awarded the higher priority.
- Should any application for our school need discussing, please ask the Principal for details. Details of the appeals procedure are available from the Principal.
Although Nene Education Trust is the admissions Authority should you wish to submit an appeal regarding admissions please refer to this guidance
Further details regarding admissions to any of the Nene Education Trust Schools can be found in each school Admissions policy.
TEMPORARY CHANGES TO HOW SCHOOL ADMISSION APPEALS WILL BE CARRIED OUT DURING COVID 19
Due to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions changes have been made to the way admission authorities (school governing bodies, local authorities and academy trusts depending on the type of school) carry out admission appeals this year.
The regulatory changes came into force on 24 April 2020 and will remain in force until 31 January 2021.
The new regulations temporarily amend the 2012 Appeals Regulations and give admission authorities, local authorities and admission appeal panels more flexibility when dealing with appeals during the COVID-19 outbreak.
See link to Northamptonshire County Council website relating to admissions and how this temporary change will affect any appeal you may wish to make.